What is a swaddle and how to swaddle a baby are very common questions for new parents.
Firstly, I want to say that if you are an expected mum or dad and the concept of swaddling seems like another language to you. Don’t fret.
You may learn about swaddling at your antenatal classes run by your hospital. And if you missed out on that, the nurses would be able to teach you on how to swaddle your baby afterbirth as well.
Steps on Swaddling
1. Layout swaddle blanket / wrap on a flat surface
Fold your wrap into a diamond shape like the diagram above with one corner folded into the centre of the wrap. Then place baby face-up in the middle of the wrap.
2. Straighten baby’s left arm and tuck wrap around baby’s body
Take the left side of the wrap over baby’s arm and check, and tuck it underneath baby’s right arm and back.
3. Fold bottom up and tuck under fold
Fold the bottom corner up over baby’s body and tuck it under the first fold on baby’s chest. Make sure you don’t tuck the bottom too tightly, allow room for your baby’s legs to stretch a little.
4. Straighten baby’s right arm and wrap blanket over baby
Take the right side of the wrap over baby’s arm and check, and tuck it underneath baby’s left side
- Make sure you use breathable material as a swaddle wrap. Read more about What swaddle to use here.
- Swaddle should be snug but not too tight.
- Never cover your baby’s face with a swaddle
- Stop Swaddling if your baby starts to roll
Hope this has helped!
Veronica (Mama) at Mama Kisses